Thursday, July 16, 2009

A social experiment of sorts

I feel like parenting is one big experiment.  I have no idea what I'm doing, though I feel like the rest of you do.  Every day is a new test that either ends in complete failure & exhaustion or the occasional victory.  I'm proud to report I'm in the latter category tonight.  Here's how it happened.  Please hold your judgements until the end :}

I'm guilty of letting the girls watch too much tv.  I always have a great excuse though...I need to shower, I need to clean, I need to nap, I need a break from the screaming...you get the point.  Before too long, anything turns into a perfectly "reasonable" excuse to turn on our beloved Dora or any Disney princess movie (yes, the girls can name them all.)  The problem really became evident when they were arguing about what they were going to watch and when.  I mean really throwing fits when I said no or they didn't get their show of choice.  Sunday I decided enough was enough.  I officially (but very hesitantly!) made this a tv-free week.  

Sure, they've asked to watch a show here & there, but not one single fit when I said no.  They're playing together beautifully.  I'm more engaged with them on a regular basis.  The number and volume of outbursts and screaming fits has drastically decreased.  Who knew this kind of change could make such a huge impact?  

Here it is Thursday night- 5 days into my experiment- and I couldn't be happier.  As I type, Sarabeth is reading a book to Anabelle.  Too precious!

2 comments:

The White Family said...

Hi Bethany! We had the same realization one week with Kaeli. It was wonderful to have a fit-free week without TV. Unfortunately, life is back to reality and she gets to watch SOME TV. Sure, we are terrible parents for letting the TV 'babysit' our sweet girls periodically, but give yourself a break and know that you are doing the best you can possibly do! We miss you guys sooooo much!!

Amy said...

That's wonderful!!! How cool. You know we often wonder what people did before TV... how bored they must have been we say. But you've got the answer, they talked and played and enjoyed each other, that's more fun than TV any day!