Friday, September 10, 2010

Stories: Sarabeth

We've been having more in-depth conversations with Sarabeth as she's getting older. She loves to ask why, ask how things work, find a reason/explanation for nearly everything. I have to remind myself that this is how she (all kids, really) learn. As much as I sometimes get annoyed at, "but why, mom?" I need to fulfill my responsibility as a parent to teach and encourage their curiosity.

Two funny little stories from the last few days...

Earlier today while driving in the car
Sarabeth: Mom? What will I do when I'm grown up?
Me: Whatever you want. What do you think you'd like to do when you're grown up?
Sarabeth: I'm going to think about that during nap. But will my name still be Sarabeth?

Yesterday afternoon I was reading to the girls out of their children's Bible. We recently started in the New Testament and got to the story of the angel appearing to the shepherds to tell them of the birth of Jesus. When the shepherd saw the angels, they were afraid and fell to their knees. After finishing the story, I asked the girls a few questions to see how much they comprehended.

Me: Sarabeth, why did the shepherds fall to their knees when they saw the angel?
Sarabeth: Because they had no bones!

We'll be re-reading that story.

No comments: